Wooden Fence Repair is something that most homeowners do not consider when they first get a new wood fence built. The average price to repair a wooden fence goes from about $ 450 – 600, with the professional average costing closer to a thousand. Wooden fences come in many shapes, sizes, styles, and prices, and if you are not familiar with them, you could easily spend thousands fixing them. Here are some tips to help you save money on Wooden Fence Repair.
Wooden fencing consists mainly of stockades, girts, and gates. These parts are usually the more expensive to replace or repair. One reason for this is because of the design of the details. Gate frames are often one of the more difficult repairs because the wood can sometimes be cut into very small pieces before it has a chance to cure properly. If you are planning on doing this on your own, here are some things that you might want to consider:
– Find out what type of wood your fence is made of. Metal and vinyl types are the most common and the least expensive to repair. You will often see signs of corrosion, but this can easily be remedied by treating the metal with a rust removing agent. If you are having trouble finding rust removing agents, you might want to check out paint thinner which is similar to rubbing alcohol and can be used to quickly and safely remove rust. Metal wooden fence repairs often cost less because you have fewer choices for fixing rot spots.
– If you are having trouble determining the cause of the decay, you should first check for any loose rail ties. Loosely tied rail ties can make it much harder to replace the fence, so it is important to keep them in place. Another wood damage problem that is often associated with wooden fence maintenance is rotted or splintering wood. If you find rotted areas, it is important to immediately treat with a wood preservative. This will stop the wood from rotting further and allows you to use it for repairs.
– When you are looking for wooden fence repair, it is also helpful to know how many panels you would need to replace. The average cost of replacing damaged panels can be quite high, but you will often find panels that are completely broken or severely damaged at an extremely low price. It helps to know the exact panel count before hiring a contractor. If the broken panel count is over fifteen, you should be worried and replace them as soon as possible.
– Cedar is a great wood to use for cedar fence repairs because of the natural oils that keep it from rotting. Because of its unique properties, cedar is an excellent fix for rot spots and damages. If you have an issue with sagging panels, you can apply polyurethane cedar coatings to eliminate cracking, shrinking, and shrinking. This coating will prevent mold and mildew from forming on your fence.
– The last consideration for repairing damaged cedar is whether or not the new panel is a perfect match for your fence. Before you do anything else, you should run a line across the top of the fence to make sure that there is still plenty of wood between the new panel and the old panel. If you notice any gaps in the panel, you should consult a professional fence maintenance company right away. This may be a sign of other structural damage, so repairing it yourself would be the best idea.
With these six tips, you can easily fix minor damages to your fence without spending a lot of money. You should check into the more difficult repairs when they arise, because repairing them without the proper tools can cost you a lot of time. Remember that repairing damaged panels is an excellent way to protect your investment, but at an average cost. If you are able to identify problems early, you will save yourself a lot of time, effort, and money.